- Cording is a technique where cords or strings are sewn onto fabric to create decorative designs.
- A cording foot is an attachment for a sewing machine that makes it easier to add cords to fabric by guiding the cord under the needle as it sews.
- The purpose of this article is to provide instructions and tips for using a cording foot to add decorative cords to fabric projects.
What is a cording foot?
- A cording foot is a sewing machine attachment that is designed to hold and guide decorative cords or threads as they are sewn onto fabric.
- There are several types of cording foot available, including single, double, and triple cording feet, which allow for different numbers of cords to be used in a design.
- The main components of a cording foot include a metal or plastic guide that holds the cord in place, a groove or channel for the cord to pass through, and a small hole in the foot that allows the needle to pass through and stitch the cord onto the fabric. Some cording feet also have adjustable tension settings to ensure the cord is held securely in place.
III. Steps to use a cording foot
- Choose the appropriate cord for your project, taking into consideration the weight, color, and thickness of the cord.
- Install the cording foot onto your sewing machine, making sure it is securely attached and the needle can pass through the hole in the foot.
- Thread your sewing machine with a thread that matches the color of the cord you will be using.
- Sew the cord onto the fabric using the cording foot as a guide. Place the cord into the groove or channel in the foot and sew slowly, allowing the cord to feed smoothly through the foot as you sew. Adjust the tension settings as needed to ensure the cord is held securely in place.
- Finish the corded design by securing the ends of the cord on the back of the fabric or by trimming them close to the stitching. Optionally, you can add additional stitching or embellishments to enhance the design.
Tips for using a cording foot
Use a slow and steady pace: When using a cording foot, it’s important to sew at a slow and steady pace. This will help ensure that your stitches are even and that the cord or piping is inserted correctly.
Test on scrap fabric first: Before sewing on your actual project, it’s a good idea to test the cording foot on a scrap piece of fabric. This will help you get a feel for how the foot works and make any necessary adjustments before starting on your project.
Choose the right needle size: It’s important to use the correct needle size when sewing with a cording foot. Generally, a slightly larger needle size than usual is recommended to accommodate the cord or piping.
Adjust the foot tension: The tension of the cording foot should be adjusted according to the thickness of the cord or piping being used. This will help ensure that the cord is securely held in place while sewing.
Use a pressing tool: After sewing with the cording foot, it’s a good idea to use a pressing tool to help shape and flatten the cord or piping. This will give your finished project a professional look.
- Recap of the benefits of using a cording foot:
Using a cording foot has many benefits, including:
Accurate and consistent insertion of cords or piping into seams
Professional-looking finished projects
Time-saving, as the cording foot eliminates the need for hand-basting
Versatility in terms of the types of cords and piping that can be used
Final thoughts and recommendations:
If you’re a sewist who frequently works with cords or piping, a cording foot can be a valuable addition to your sewing machine accessories. By following the tips we’ve outlined in this guide, you can use a cording foot to achieve professional-looking results and save time in your sewing
projects. Don’t hesitate to experiment with different cord and piping sizes to create unique and customized projects. Happy sewing!
- Best Singer Sewing Machine 2023
- Best Serger Sewing Machine 2023
- Best Sewing and Embroidery Machine for Beginners 2023
- Best sewing machine for free motion quilting 2023
- Best Sewing Machine for Denim 2023